- Signal & Image Processing: Processing signals in order to extract characteristic and specific features making the classification of the primary information fast and simple.
- Measuring Techniques and Information Processing: Slightly different from the previous field and concerns mainly diagnostics and system processing, including data mining and intelligent feed-back systems.
- Electronic Nose: This device was once built and shown to be able to differentiate between various explosives. It was also used in a study of cancer diagnostics (see the publication list below).
- Infrasound and seismic experiments: Applying proper signal processing techniques to infra sound microphones and looking for characteristic features and similarities with seismic signals. This picture shows how a nearby blasting is recorded by seismometers (top and bottom three signals) and by four infrasound microphone; we also have a link to our provisional infrasound and seismic viewer.
- Pulse-Coupled Neural Networks: Developing algorithms based on the visual cortex system of small mammals for image segmentation, etc.
- Other Neural Networks: Implementing neural and RBF techniques in FPGA. Using chips like "the old" ZISC and "the new" CogniMem.
Indeed we have been doing neural networks in hardware since the days of the Intel ETANN, the IBM ZISC and now we are finding applications for the V1KU - a system with a small camera and with a chip having 1024 RBF neurons. With four chips we hope to have a fast and robust intrusion control system.
- Small UAV carrying instruments for e.g. radiation monitoring: Other instruments packages include camera (cf. the neural network camera mentioned above) a, magnetometer, etc. Long duration flights and stable operation: Here is one UAV flying in tough wind. Flight analysis.
- Space Physics and Instrumentation for Space: Instrumentation for nanosatellites, radiation detectors, sun sensors and star trackers.
- Thomas Lindblad and Jason M. Kinser, Image Processeing using Pulse-Coupled Neural Networks, Springer Verlag (London)
- Thomas Lindblad and Jason M. Kinser, Image Processeing using Pulse-Coupled Neural Networks, 2nd Edition, Springer Verlag (London) 2005 ISBN 9783540242185
- Thomas Lindblad and Jason M. Kinser, Chinese translation of Image Processeing using Pulse-Coupled Neural Networks, 2nd Edition ISBN 978-7-04-024463-2
- Thomas Lindblad and Jason M. Kinser, Image Processeing using Pulse-Coupled Neural Networks: Applications in Phython, Kindle Edition, 3rd revised edition. Springer Verlag (Heidelberg) 2013, ISBN 9783642368769 . This book is also available as an eBook.
- Clark S. Lindsey, J. Trolliver and Th. Lindblad, JavaTech, Cambridge University Press (London) 2005 ISBN 9780521821131
Chapters in Books
- Thomas Lindblad, Clark S. Lindsey Åge Eide, About RBF types of neural netwrks; Ch. 75-76 in The Industrial Electronics Handbook, J. David Irwin, Taylor & Francis Ltd (1997)
- Thomas Lindblad and Clark S. Lindsey, NeuFuzz; Ch. 89 in The Industrial Electronics Handbook, J. David Irwin, Taylor & Francis Ltd (1997)
- José Chilo, Thomas Lindblad, Roland Olsson and Stig-Erland Hansen, Comparison of Three Feature Extraction Techniques to Distinguish Between Different Infrasound Signals, Ch. 8 p. 75 in Progress in Pattern Recognition, Sameer Singh and Maneesha Singh (Eds), Springer Verlag, ISBN 978-1-84628-944-6
- J. Chilo, A. Schluter and Th. Lindblad, Development of a High-Resolution Sensor Network for Monitoring Volcanic Activity, Ch. 3 in Geosciences and Remote Sensing (Ed Pei-Gee Peter Ho)
- Åge J. Eide, Thomas Lindblad, Guy Paillet, Radial-Basis-Function Networks, Ch 7 in The Industrial Electronics Handbook, Intelligent Systems, Eds B.M. Wiliamowski & J.D. Irwin, CRC Press (2011)
Recent Scientific Publications
This list below involves publications from 2002 and later. For older publications, click here!
- Chilo, José & Lindblad, Thomas, Wireless Data Acquisition System Using Bluetooth Technology for Infrasonic Records. International Scientific Journal of Computing, 2008 7 (2), s. 18-21
- Chilo, José & Kinser, Jason & Lindblad, Thomas, Discrimination of Nuclear Explosions Sites by Seismic Signals using Intrinsic Mode Functions and Multi-Modal Data Space. / IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium : . - , 2008. - S. 895-898
- Berg, Henrik (et al.), Automatic design of pulse coupled neurons for image segmentation. . - Neurocomputing, 2008 71 (10-12), s. 1980-1993
- Chilo, José & Jabor, Abbas, Infrasonic and Seismic Signals from Earthquake and Explosions in Arequipa, Perú. Western Pacific Geophysics Meeting. 24-27 July 2006, Beijing, China. – 2006
- Chilo, José & Lindblad, Thomas, Obtaining images from iron object using a 3-axis fluxgate magnetometer. International Conference on Imaging Techniques in Subatomic Physics, Astrophysics, Medicine, Biology and Industry : Imaging 2006. 27-30 June 2006, Stockholm, Sweden. – 2006
- Chilo, José and Lindblad, Thomas, Data Acquisition and Digital Filtering for Infrasonic Records on Active Volcanoes. Sensors & Transducers Journal. - 2007 77 (3), s. 1058-1064
- Chilo, José et al., Comparison of three feature extraction techniques to distinguish between different infrasound signals. Progress in pattern recognition. - London : Springer, 2007. - S. 75-82. - (Advances in pattern recognition)
- Chilo, José and Lindblad, Thomas, Real-Time Signal Processing of Infrasound Data Using 1D Wavelet Transforms FPGA Device. 15th IEEE-NPSS Real-time Conference, April 29 – May 4, 2007, Batavia, Illinois. - Piscataway, NJ : IEEE, 2007. 170-174
- Chilo, José et al., Obtaining “images” from iron objects using a 3-axis fluxgate magnetometer. Nucl. Inst. Meth. A : 2007 580 (2), s. 1105-1109
- Chilo, José and Lindblad, Thomas, A Low Cost Digital Data Acquisition System for Infrasonic Records. 4th IEEE Workshop on Intelligent Data Acquisition and Advanced Computing Systems: Technology and Applications. - Piscataway, NJ : IEEE, 2007. 35-37
- Chilo, José et al., Electronic Nose Ovarian Carcinoma Diagnosis Based on Machine Learning. Advances in Data Mining. Applications and Theoretical Aspects. - Berlin Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, 2009. p. 13-23
- Chilo, José et al., A Flexible Electronic Nose for Odor Discrimination Using Different Methods of Classification. IEEE NPSS Real Time Conference 2009. – 2009 to be published
- Martin Kermit, Åge J. Eide and Thomas Lindblad, Early online detection of upper airway obstruction in OSAS patients. Journal of Medical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 26, Number 6, (November/December 2002), pp 259-264.
- Martin Kermit, Åge J. Eide, Thomas Lindblad, and Kenneth Agehed, Intelligent Machine Olfaction, IASTED Int Conf on Artificial and Computational Intelligence (ACI 2002), Tokyo, Japan, September 25-27,2002, pages 406-410.
- J. Chilo, A. Jabor and Th. Lindblad, Filtering and extracting features from infrasound data, presented at 14th IEEE-NPSS Real-time Conf, Stockholm, Sweden, June 4-10, 2005, pp. 451 – 455 http://www.sysf.physto.se/RT2005/
- J. Chilo, A. Jabor, Å. J. Eide, Th. Lindblad and L. Persson, Infrasonic and Seismic Signals from Earthquake and Explosions in Arequipa, Perú Western Pacific Geophysics Meeting, Beijing, China, July 24-27, 2006. http://www.agu.org/meetings/wp06/?content=program
- J. Chilo, Å. J. Eide and Th. Lindblad, Obtaining images from iron object using a 3-axis fluxgate magnetometer, International Conference on Imaging Techniques, Stockholm, Sweden, June 27-30, 2006.
- J. Puscov, J. Chilo, Th. Lindblad and N. Hollman, Experience of a small UAV with a commercial flight computer, NATO/FOI Workshop on Autonomy in UAV-systems, Stockholm, Sweden, September 25-26, 2006.
- J. Chilo and Th. Lindblad, Real-Time Signal Processing of Infrasound Data Using 1D Wavelet Transform on FPGA Device, presented at 15th IEEE-NPSS Real-time Conf, Fermilab, Batavia, Illinois, USA, April 29 – May 4, 2007 http://computing.fnal.gov/cd/rt07/
- J. Chilo and Th. Lindblad, “A Low Cost Digital Data Acquisition System for Infrasonic Records”, IEEE International Workshop on Intelligent Data Acquisition and Advanced Computing Systems: Technology and Applications, (ISBN: 1-4244-1348-6) Dortmund, Germany, 6-8 September 2007, pp. 35-37 http://idaacs.net/
- J. Chilo and Th. Lindblad, Data Acquisition and Digital Filtering for Infrasonic Records on Active Volcanoes, Sensors & Transducers Journal, (ISSN 1726- 5479), Vol. 77, Issue 3, March 2007, pp. 1058-1064. http://www.sensorsportal.com/HTML/IFSA_Newsletter_March_07.htm
- J. Chilo, Th. Lindblad, R. Olsson and S. E. Hansen, Comparison of three feature extraction techniques to distinguish between different infrasound signals, IWAPR 2007, Progr in Patt Rec, 2007, Springer-Verlag London Ltd, (ISBN 9781846289446), pp. 75-82. http://www.paaonline.net/iwapr/
- J. Chilo, R. Olsson, S. E. Hansen and Th. Lindblad, Classification of Infrasound Events with Various Machine Learning Techniques, CITSA 2007 / CCCT 2007, The 4th International Conference on Cybernetics and Information Technologies, Systems and Applications jointly with The 5th International Conference on Computing, Communications and Control Technologies, Orlando, Florida, USA, July 12-15, 2007, VOLUME II, pp. 191-195 http://www.info-cyber.org/citsa2007/website/default.asp?vc=6
- J. Chilo, A. Jabor, L. Lizska, Å. J. Eide and Th. Lindblad, Obtaining ‘‘images’’ from iron objects using a 3-axis fluxgate Magnetometer, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment, Volume 580, Issue 2, 1 October 2007, Pages 1105-1109, http://www.sciencedirect.com/
- H. Berg, R. Olsson, Th. Lindblad and J. Chilo, “Automatic Design of Pulse Coupled Neurons for Image Segmentation” accepted to be publish at Neurocomputing-Elsevier.
- J. Chilo and Th. Lindblad, Hardware Implementation of 1D Wavelet Transform on an FPGA for Infrasound Signal Classification, IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science (TNS), Volume 55, Issue 1, February 2008, pp. 9-13.
- J. Chilo, J.M. Kinser and Th. Lindblad, Discrimination of Nuclear Explosions Sites by Seismic Signals using Intrinsic Mode Functions and Multi-Modal Data Space, presented at 2008 IEEE International Geoscience & Remote Sensing Symposium July 6-11, 2008 Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
- J. Chilo, G. Horvarth, Th. Lindblad and R. Olson, Electronic Nose Ovarian Carcinoma Diagnosis Based on Machine Learning Algorithms, in Advances in Data Mining, Applications and Theoretical Aspects, Leipzig, Germany July 2009.
The Excitera Innovation Challange used our electronic nose as an input to a competition this year. Some information, as well as a video of the talk given at the kick-off meeting can be found if you follow the link below:
Opponent at Luleå Technical University in December 2011 when Yuan Fuqing presented his thesis with the title Failure Diagnostics using the Support Vector Machine.
Invited speaker by Skönlitterära Författarförbundet to give a popular talk, in Swedish, on the subject of "the artificial brain". The talk was given at Paddy's PUB, Sollentuna on the 2nd of May 2012.
Invited speaker at the AOAC Europe - NMKL International Symposium, May 2012, in Copenhagen, Denmark. This is a conference on "Rapid Methods - chemical, microbiological and sensory analysis of foods" and the "Bomb Nose" originally developed at KTH in 1992 and how it was "converted" to a cancer and food diagnostics nose was discussed.
A lunch seminar was given about artificial intelligence, neural networks and the mammal visual cortex at Täby-Attunda Rotary Club in the early summer of 2013.
Of course, I had to listed to professor Higgs talk at the EPS conference in Stockholm, July 2013. Great man, humble and friendly and still using transparancies. He gave credit to many colleagues. But this was a big EPS conference with lots of talks. Some talks nicely summarized the state of the art of Dark Matter and Dark Energy and the new detector systems to be used.
Signal Filtering, Nazar Dino mohammed
Smart Sensors, Markus Tengval
Recent diploma works were carried outby Göran Ödmark and Katarina Axelsson. Both were studying radiation effects on suborbital spaceflights. Here they are shown together with Swedish astronaut Christer Fuglesang, who when defending their thesises.
But there turned out to be one more Diploma Student 2012/13 interested in space research: Robin Johansson. I am supervising his work on "Cm in Space". The thesis deals with the use of curium to power an ion enging for deep space probes. The thesis is expected to be defended before the end of the spring semester 2013.
During 2012 and 2013 Robin Johansson was working on a project called Curium in Space. The goal was to investigate if Cm from spent fuel could be used in RTG systems for deep space missions. The thesis was presented at a seminar at AlbaNova on the 5th of May 2013.
My Last PhD Students - 2008
One of my last Ph.D. students, José Chilo, defended his thesis on March 31st. José has been working with infrasound ans seismic signals, front-end data and information processing. Elena Wildner, who has been working at CERN with the design, diagnostics and control of the new LHC accelerator, defended her thesis on May 14th, 2008. Both attended the celebration in the City Hall in Stockholm, where the promotion took place.
José Chilo (short description of his thesis)
Elena Wildner (click to get a short description of her thesis, "spikblad"). Here is a link to the pdf-version of her thesis at KTHB.
Undergraduate Teaching - 2011
After retiring I still taught one course within the scheme of Master students taking the "space track", namely
Examples of recent exam with suggested solution:
- Studentexamen, 1965
- Sergent Swdish Army, 1966
- Fil. kand. University of Stockholm, 1969
- Ph.D. in Physics, University of Stockholm, 1974
- Docent, University of Stockholm, 1976
- Associate Professor, KTH
- Professor, KTH
- Director of Undergraduate Studies (until 2008), KTH Physics
- Professor Emeritus (2010)
Address: Department of Physics, Royal Institute of
Technology, AlbaNova, SE-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Office: AlbaNova, 5th floor, room A5:3015
Cellular Phone: +46855378178